Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Love - the Real Thing

When you’re writing a love story, it’s supposed to go like this: girl meets boy; boy meets girl; they act like idiots; they finally get together. Real life is like that as well, but love is something so much more.
The real life love stories that I collect and cherish are about the couples who love each other for thirty or forty or fifty years. And when they’re together, they act like best friends. And I do know people like that. They walk every day around the neighborhood, and they hold hands, and you can see in their eyes that they’re still special to each other.
Do you remember a news report where a bear attacked a man on a camping trip? His wife went after the bear – I’m not sure with what – and she chased it away and saved her husband’s life. Later she said that that’s just what they did. They were a team. They helped each other.
I remember once, when I was in college, my boyfriend and I were at the beach at sunset, and we saw a couple probably in their sixties. (That was really old, back then.) She had her gray head on his shoulder. Maybe they were kissing, or maybe just watching the sunset, and that’s what a real love story is about. So that’s the kind of story I’m working on. Parts of the story are about people I know and they’re true.

No comments:

Post a Comment