Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Molly Chronicles -Play Ball



            Fortunately Dr. Juriceck, the in-house vet for the Red Sox, was an ardent proponent of canine athletics. A brilliant human, he worked as hard and as enthusiastically as any Border Collie. He fitted Shadow and me with special mouthguards for batting. They protected our teeth as we clamped on to the bat, and distributed the force of the bat connecting with the ball throughout our whole mouth.  (I was willing to share, but Shadow wanted his own mouthguard.) Now free of pain and without the distracting fear of losing all my teeth, I was able to get impressive distance and accuracy each time at bat.
     


            During practice, Shadow and I were the first players on the field each day, and the last ones to go home. Eagerly I anticipated the day when we would play in a real major league ball game.




My First Time at Bat
            An ominous chilling San Francisco afternoon with fog rolling in from the Pacific, it was the bottom of the ninth with two outs and the score four to two in favor of the San Francisco Giants.
            We had runners on second and third. I was sent in to pinch hit for Brandon Snyder who had pulled a hamstring while making an amazing save.
            "Don't swing, Molly," the Coach Colbrunn told me. "Let them walk you. David Ortiz is up next. We'll pin our hopes on his bagging a grand slam."
            Confidently I strode out onto the field listening for my name to be announced over the loud speaker.



No comments:

Post a Comment