Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Ask Molly

Today's "Ask Molly" letter comes from Galveston, Texas. Winston the Owl writes:
 

Dear Molly,



As I write this letter, my heart droops so close to the ground, a mouse couldn’t crawl beneath it. I have tried to drown my sorrow in drink, but my soul is aching, and in pain, and the pain will not be stilled. Of course love is the reason for my sorrow. Unrequited. She’s beautiful, and kind, with a soft,  lilting voice, more like music that speaking. And she doesn’t understand the depth of my feelings. If I had but words enough and time enough . . .  or if I had any words at all.  But I sit mute gazing with longing at my hearts desire. Surely she feels something. Why else would she come to see me day after day after day? But the flame that burns  hot within me . . .

 I so looked forward to my time with her. The way she tips her head to one side, and laughs at my attempts to entertain her.  Encouraged by her looks, and her words, and laughter, I started to bring her small gifts. And then . .  I screwed up my courage to the sticking point . .  And made the ultimate commitment. Marriage. Instead of a ring, I offered her a dead mouse. And . . . nothing  Each week I’d present a dead mouse, reverently dropping it in front of her feet.

 A dead mouse! To an owl, it is the ultimate gift, a promise of fidelity, a symbol of commitment, binding me to her for the rest of my life. But to a human???? She never accepted it, never bit off its head, and chewed the eyes and nose. Never acknowledged my passion. She never even picked it up with her beautifully manicured fingers.

 Molly, you understand humans better than anyone. What should I do? 




Dear Winston,

My heart goes out to you. And I understand the depths of your feelings for this human, and the pain you feel. 
It's hard to know what to tell you. Love is love. It's so powerful, so fickle, and difficult to understand.  

Of course inter-species relationships CAN work. Take the famous story of the owl and the pussy cat for example.

I can tell you one thing. You and I appreciate a dead mouse. If you gave me a dead mouse I would understand the gesture and thoroughly enjoy its flavor. However, humans do not have the taste buds to enjoy dead rodents, especially served raw. 

You say she comes to visit you regularly. She must have feelings for you. But I believe she sees you as a friend, not a lover. You could try presenting her with a different token of your affection, but I fear that a relationship between the two of you is not to be.

Save your mice for someone who will eat them.

Regards, 

Molly



No comments:

Post a Comment