Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Monday, March 21, 2016

The story behind the story of "Iverson's Vision Quest"


The story behind the story of "Iverson's Vision Quest."  (Written several years ago and edited tonight.)
 
     Charlotte is my best friend and she is dying. She has Lou Gherrig's disease which means she's gradually losing the use of all of her muscles. Back when she was still able to drive, we took a writing class together. During one of the writing exercises, she wondered:
If you discover a fairy in your back yard, will the EPA classify it as an endangered species?
Will you have to file an Environmental Impact Report to dig up your petunias?
What effect will the fairy have on the native wildlife?
Maybe you should just call the exterminator.

     Anyway, Charlotte never finished the story, and a couple of months ago, she asked me to do it - but to write my story, not hers. Being slightly dense, it took me two months to figure out that she's giving away everything she has, and that includes her stories.
     Of the two of us, Charlotte was always the talker and I was the listener. I'm shy and frequently can't think of anything to say. Charlotte, on the other hand, never had that problem. So it was quite unfair that her voice was the first thing to go, and she had to be quiet, and I had to come up with conversation for both of us. She has a buzzer she can press that makes a ding-dong sound. It means, "yes."  That's about it.
     One great thing - Charlotte can smile and laugh, even now when almost nothing else works. Sherry, her caregiver says it's because the smile is involuntary.  Charlotte is incapable of just being polite.
     So I was talking about nothing, and suddenly looked over at her. And she just looked miserable. I couldn't figure out what was the matter. "Maybe I'm just boring," I said out loud.
     'Ding dong, ding dong, ding dong."  And she had the biggest grin on her face.She hadn't been able to make a joke in ages.
     Last Monday I wanted to read the part of the story that I'd just finished to Charlotte, but no one answered the phone when I called, and, when I drove by her house the van that accommodates her wheelchair was gone. I hoped they were at clinic. I knew that the day would come when I couldn't have my Monday visits. And I hoped I'd get to read the whole story to her before that day. Later her husband told me they had gone to the clinic. "I hope you weren't worried," he said.
     "No, I figured that's where you were." I lied. And Charlotte did get to hear the whole thing.
     So here it is. "Iverson's Vision Quest." If you haven't already read it, you can read the whole story by clicking the photo of the fairy to the right of this post. By the way, the description of C the Great in the green muumuu with the lame' slippers making cards - that's all Charlotte. "C the Great" is an in joke from when we were in our twenties.




Epilogue

     If you receive this letter, I have died. I hope you will miss me some, but don't be too sad for me. I have had a wonderful life, filled with love and lots of interesting things to do and learn about. I  have been lucky in my birth family and the family Mark and I formed. My folks gave me unconditional love and didn't load me up with a lot of emotional baggage. Mark and my children made my life a joyful and interesting one. Mark has been a wonderful husband and I am very proud of how my children have turned out. They are both beautiful, interesting, caring individuals.
You all, my friends, have given me love and encouragement and unlimited entertainment. I love listening to all  your stories, and you have all taught me something about life. I cherish every one of you.
     Even in my last illness, I was lucky to have so much support from hospice, medical professionals, volunteers, caregivers, and friends and my wonderful family.
     Now  a word of parting advice: In everything you do you are creating part of reality itself. Every choice you make is a small piece in the patchwork of the universe. If you believe in God as the creative force that makes everything, you must be a piece of God because you make the universe every day, by how you treat other people, by the way you decorate  your homes, by the work you choose to do, by the things you create whether they are works of art, or gardens or meals or groups you organize. Everything counts. so create well. And if you think of me, plant something green to contribute your share of oxygen to the planet. After all, I am a biologist.
     I had fun. Hope you did too. Goodbye. I love you all.
Charlotte.


This part is all true except that I've changed the names.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely inspired me to go out and find something to plant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad. Charlotte would be happy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the passing of Charlotte. ALS seems to take away the most used activity. My father's voice never wavered, but his hands and feet quickly grew weak soon after his diagnosis. He thrived on working with his hands.

    Well, anyway, this was a wonderful and fun tribute to your friend. I hope to be able to do this as well as you did for someone. Then again, I hope I won't have to...

    - SquarePegGuy
    http://square--peg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, Square Peg, and for being a great Internet friend.
    If your father is still with us, I wish him comfort and loving family and friends.

    ReplyDelete