Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ask Molly

Nancy, from Augusta, Georgia: writes:

Dear Molly,
My dog Lucy won't stop barking. She has an anxiety disorder, and any time I try to leave her, she barks and won't stop. I've told her "my way or the freeway," but she keeps on barking. I've tried everything, I pet her, soothe her, give her snacks, everything. She keeps on barking. What should I do.

Frustrated Nancy in Georgia

Dear Nancy,

Does she whimper, shiver, whine, do submissive peeing? Is her tail down flat between her legs when she barks? If so, she is truly anxious.

Plain old barking, with her tail doing a down stroke with the barks, is just her telling you what she wants. And you don't have to worry about her doggy psyche. Normally, I'd smile at how well Lucy has you trained, but I'd hate to see her end up on the freeway or (shudder) the pound.

Lucy loves you and you love her. That's clear, and that's the way it should be. 

Most dogs can't read your mind. They certainly don't understand, "my way or the freeway." You need to tell her "no" in a voice she'll understand means "no." And turn away from her whenever she barks. And whatever you do, don't pet her or feed her when she's barking. That said, she's gotten away with it for so long it will be hard to unlearn the behavior. I recommend a doggy trainer - and ear plugs.


Good luck,

Molly

Readers, if your dog is doing something bad, never, ever pet or feed him/her hoping to distract your dog. We're pretty smart. We'll figure it out. Then we'll act up, come over for a treat, act up, come over for a treat, and so forth.



No comments:

Post a Comment