Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Fear

Sometimes fear sneaks up on me. Silent like a hawk, swooping down on it prize. I don't want to be the prize.  One minute the sun's bright; I'm bright; I'm smiling, talking. And suddenly out of nowhere I'm stopped, frozen.  My throat chokes and the stupidest drivel comes pouring out of my mouth. Later comes the fallout. "I should have said..." "Why didn't I..." "What was I thinking? Clearly I wasn't thinking at all." And the moment's gone. And it's a magical moment, a time when something important could have happened, an opportunity to be seized.

And sometimes fear is a block of grey ice, a dungeon, a straight jacket. Sometimes it's a well I fall into and can't climb out of. The world's up there, mine for the grabbing, and I can't climb up the steep sides.

Sometimes I'm a turtle snug in my shell. 

1 comment:

  1. I wrote about fear recently, too. It can be an ally, provided we listen to it and not blindly avoid it.
    http://square--peg.blogspot.com/2013/06/fear-as-ally.html

    Then there's fear that freezes us in place, as if we're frightened birds....
    http://square--peg.blogspot.com/2013/06/frightened-birds.html

    ReplyDelete