Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Monday, June 24, 2013

The Molly Chronicles - Jury Duty

The Molly Chronicles Jury Duty  

We Enter the Courtroom

They chose sixty of us at random as a pool of prospective jurors, and we were sent upstairs to Courtroom Two. I hoped and prayed that they would choose my human and me to serve on the jury. My human, I regret to say, was hoping to get out of it.

The courtroom was modeled after the set in the “Perry Mason” shows, except that our courtroom had more comfortable seats. Unfortunately, I,               being a dog, had to lie on the floor.

I told the judge that I could save everyone a whole lot of trouble. I could tell her if the defendant was guilty or innocent by smelling his butt. The judge said that’s not the way our court system works. Humans are sometimes very stubborn and backward.

Anyway, they began the jury selection process called “voire dire” which is a fancy shmancy term for all talk and no liver snacks. They interviewed the first eighteen prospective jurors. The judge politely thanked and excused some of them and she said that being excused was no reflection on their character. Still, I’d be devastated if they excused me.

My human was the fifty second person interviewed. She forgot to mention that she's a writer. Fortunately I was there, and told everyone about “Temporary Address”. The judge said she’d read it after the trial. She is a very honest person, and wouldn’t lie about a thing like that, even to be polite. 

Molly, signing off, (and all agog with excitement)


No comments:

Post a Comment